Turkey's first professional boxer Garbis Zakaryan, of Armenian descent, was laid to rest in Istanbul's Şişli Armenian Cemetery on Jan. 29. Main opposition CHP MP Tanrıkulu and HDP MP Paylan have criticized the authorities for not having yet named a public sports center after Zakaryan.
A person with the initials İÖ initially became known among the public for filing criminal complaints against people appearing on television debate programs. Those initials kept appearing on complaint petitions. İÖ has been an informant since he was a child, and he has even filed complaints against his own father and uncle, among others. He claims to have provided testimony in the trials of 150 DHKP-C suspects.
Following the disastrous 6.8 Earthquake that struck the southeastern city of Elazığ last week and claimed the lives of 41 people while injuring 1600, thousands of residents are living in tents while at least hundreds are without heating, enduring freezing conditions amid a cold winter. While some tents have heating stoves, others lack them, causing families to endure freezing conditions in a park where the pond has frozen over.
Iranian rapper Amir Tataloo, who was detained on Jan. 28 in Istanbul, has been released from police custody, Radio Free Europe reported. Turkish police told the BBC that Tataloo was detained for “visa violations,” while also confirming that a red alert had been issued for the rapper on drug-related issues.
A 5.4-magnitude earthquake took place in the Mediterranean Sea off southwestern Turkish shores, Turkey's disaster agency said. "An earthquake with a magnitude of 5.4 occurred at 6.38 p.m. in the Mediterranean Sea off Marmaris shores," AFAD said.
An Egyptian actor who works as a stunt double in Turkish shows was violently beaten in Istanbul when a man mistook him for a Syrian refugee. The man was yelling profanities about Syrians even after the attack was over, which is how Mancy realized what had happened. The actor was on a bus with his sister, sister-in-law and niece who also got hit by the attacker and the actor was treated for a broken nose and a broken arm.
Fifty people will come under investigation for social media posts about the 6.8-magnitude Jan. 24 earthquake, the Ankara Office of the Chief Public Prosecutor said today. "Creating worry, fear and panic among the public" and "insulting the Turkish people, the Republic of Turkey and public institutions" are the charges against said individuals.
The Istanbul City Lines has announced that ferry services will be operational for 24 hours once the plan is approved by the municipal council. “We will execute a system in which ferries will operate 24 hours in the Bosphorus following the decision [of the city council],” Sinem Dedetaş, the head of the City Lines, said on Jan. 27.
Some 12 people, 10 of whom are Chinese tourists, have been admitted to a hospital in Turkey's Central Anatolian province of Aksaray for suspected infection from the Wuhan coronavirus. The provincial health directorate has said that initial tests have come back negative, but they are still waiting for the results of blood tests.
Turkey's pro-Kurdish Peoples' Democratic Party (HDP) has claimed that humanitarian aid packages they organized to be sent to earthquake-struck Elazığ were blocked by Interior Minister Süleyman Soylu, saying: "[Soylu] gave directives on television that the aid packages be blocked off, ordering this to the local authorities. The Governor's Office immediately followed through on this and arranged that aid packages not from the government be turned away.”
"We're expecting a 7.5-magnitude earthquake in Istanbul," Turkey's Interior Minister Süleyman Soylu said on a live broadcast. Soylu told there were 28 work groups to plan for the potential quake, and an application to ensure communication after an earthquake is being developed by Turkey's four largest phone operators.
Turkey has formally called off rescue operations as emergency teams recovered the body of the last quake victim, raising the death toll from the 6.8-magnitude tremor to 41. Interior Minister Soylu said 2,000 temporary houses will be built in 15 days, while Urbanization Minister Kurum said authorities have started demolishing damaged buildings.
Duvar reporters write from the earthquake zone: The people of Elazığ spent the second night following the quake on the pavements of Gazi Street, the city’s main boulevard. Fires lit up every 10 meters were hardly enough to help them brace the -10 Celsius temperatures.
The death toll from Friday's powerful earthquake in eastern Turkey rose to 36, Turkey’s Vice President Fuat Oktay said Jan. 26. Interior Minister Süleyman Soylu cautioned citizens to refrain from sending supplies to the disaster-struck areas without the coordination of Turkey’s Disaster and Emergency Management Authority (AFAD).
The management of a jail in the eastern Turkish province of Elazığ is pressuring political prisoners to wear an ID card reading “convicted of terrorism.” HDP MP Gergerlioğlu submitted a parliamentary question regarding the issue, asking Justice Minister Gül on what kind of a legal regulation the jail “justifies” its implementation.