Turkish Airlines' president said that the airline's sub-company AnadoluJet would resume international flights on June 11. The flagship carrier began domestic flights on June 1.
Turkish Health Minister Fahrettin Koca has said that the country's eastern provinces have recently seen a partial increase in the number of coronavirus cases. Koca's statement came as the southeastern province of Diyarbakır made the wearing of masks mandatory in all public spaces amid concerns of a second wave in the province.
Turkey's Health Minister Fahrettin Koca has telephoned the man whose photo he shared last week in an attempt to discourage the wrong use of coronavirus facial masks. The man in the photo is seen having pulled his mask to his eyes.
Turkey's Health Minister Fahrettin Koca has said that there is no scientific data showing that the coronavirus has ‘weakened’ compared to when it ripped across the globe earlier this year.
Turkey's senior citizens will be allowed to leave their homes between 10 a.m. and 8 p.m. every day as the country continues to ease coronavirus restrictions. Among other easing measures, theaters, cinemas, concert halls and other cultural venues will be allowed to re-open starting on July 1.
Expert warns wrong use of masks could lead to second wave of COVID-19 infections in Turkey in only weeks
A Turkish professor noted that the faulty use of masks could lead to a spike in the number of COVID-19 cases. Noting that many people fail to cover their nose and mouth with their mask, the doctor said that a potential second wave could arrive in the second half of June.
Turkey’s death toll from the coronavirus rose by 19 as the country registered 989 new cases on June 8. Health Minister Fahrettin Koca said that the recent increase in the positive cases can be "easily" prevented if citizens wear their facial masks and abide by the social distancing measures.
Turkey's coronavirus testing will no longer be focused on solely fever, cough and difficulty in breathing. The criteria will be expanded to include people with symptoms of sore throat, headache, muscle pain, loss of taste and smell or diarrhea, daily Hürriyet reported. The newspaper also quoted a renowned professor as saying that one person out of every 100 in Istanbul is believed to be carrying the virus.
A group of seniors in Istanbul's Cihangir neighborhood protested the ongoing curfew on their age group. On a Sunday when they were allowed outside, the seniors asked the curfew to be lifted on citizens over 65 who have dutifully stayed home for months to avoid spreading COVID-19.
Turkish Health Minister Fahrettin Koca warned citizens that the threat of the COVID-19 pandemic grows as they relax precautions. Minister Koca's warning comes a week after Turkey began its "normalization" process, reopening businesses and resuming public transportation operations, even observing its first weekend off curfew.
There is an important rise in the number of those catching coronavirus in the Diyarbakır area. Villages and apartments are under quarantine. Of course there is also the warning from doctors of a second wave. This warning indicates that the government is adopting the approach of passing responsibility onto society.
Health Minister Fahrettin Koca said on June 5 that some 93 percent of patients who died of the novel coronavirus in Turkey were over 65 years old, as the country's total death toll from the virus hit 4,648.
Transport and Infrastructure Minister Adil Karaismailoğlu has said that all Turkish airports have been "certified" to show that they have taken the necessary precautions to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus. "In addition to six airports that were previously certified, 47 more airports have become entitled to carry the certificate of 'airworthy' as of today," Karaismailoğlu said on June 5.
A cafe in the northeastern province of Artvin is enforcing social distancing guidelines with mannequins, placing a couple at every other table. As the mannequins occupy half the tables, customers are forced to stay at a safe distance from others.
President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has decided to cancel a weekend lockdown announced late on June 4 after public backlash. In a series of tweets, Erdoğan said on June 5 the government had to impose the weekend lockdown after daily new COVID-19 cases rose from around 700 to nearly 1,000.