Following Turkey's Minister Fahrettin Koca's announcement of Turkey's first confirmed coronavirus case, consumers in Turkey have flocked to markets to purchase certain consumer goods, ignoring calls from health experts to not succumb to panic. Wet wipes, latex gloves, lemon-scented cologne and pasta are rapidly disappearing from shelves.
FIBA announced on March 12 that all FIBA competitions are suspended as of March 13 due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. "FIBA will continue to monitor the situation on a daily basis and will evaluate the options for the continuation or not of the respective competitions when and if the situation allows for it," it said.
Trump imposed sweeping restrictions on travel from European countries over coronavirus, with Turkey not included in the list. The restriction applies to countries in the Schengen Area, which are Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.
After Health Minister Fahrettin Koca confirmed Turkey's first case of coronavirus early on Wednesday morning, many Istanbul residents have turned to an age-old staple for protection against the virus: lemon-scented cologne. The cologne is very popular throughout Turkey due to its antibacterial properties (it contains alcohol) and its pleasant, refreshing citrusy scent.
Turkey's Financial Crimes Investigation Board (MASAK) has announced that it launched investigations into businesses that try to "unlawfully profit" from the fear of the spread of coronavirus, COVID-19.
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus on March 11 declared the coronavirus outbreak a pandemic as the global death toll rose above 4,300 and the number of confirmed cases exceeded 121,000.
The"Big White Meeting" that Turkey's healthcare workers' unions were planning to hold in Ankara to protest widespread violence against healthcare workers in the country was cancelled due to the first official case of coronavirus being detected in Turkey March 10, the Turkish Medical Association (TTB) said March 11.
At least four universities in the mega-city Istanbul have announced they would be suspending on-campus classes for two weeks. Boğaziçi University became the first state institution to call off classes amid the coronavirus outbreak, moving up and extending their spring break.
The Turkish government will step in to ensure the price of face masks do not skyrocket amid the coronavirus outbreak, authorities announced on March 11. Health Minister Koca said that prices of masks will be subject to the the ministry’s “preliminary approval,” whereas Trade Minister Pekcan said they will make sure that "people obtain masks with reasonable prices."
Turkey plans to reduce foreign tourist demand until the end of April amid the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) epidemic, Culture and Tourism Minister Nuri Ersoy said during a press conference on March 11. He also said that hotels had been advised to postpone summer openings.
An aide of President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan scanned journalists and politicians who crowded around the Turkish leader as he arrived in parliament with a thermal camera, checking people he met for fever which could be linked to coronavirus.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has praised Turkey for taking "vigilant" measures against coronavirus (COVID-19). Irshad Shaikh, the WHO Health Security Program Leader in Turkey, praised Ankara's preventative measures and good organization, saying it had been "very lucky, vigilant and cautious." "Turkey is an advanced country, and most of the systems were already there. What was needed was to make sure they are quick to this outbreak," Shaikh told Reuters.
Investigations were launched into 29 social media users over sharing "provocative" posts on coronavirus (COVID-19), hours after Health Minister Fahrettin Koca reported Turkey's first coronavirus case. According to the prosecutor's office, the 29 social media users shared posts accusing Turkish authorities of hiding the coronavirus cases is the country, as well as those that incite panic and fear in the society.
President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said "no virus is stronger than our precautions" hours after Turkey reported its first coronavirus case. Erdoğan said that the person who was diagnosed with coronavirus returned to Turkey after visiting Europe, adding that the individual's treatment is ongoing. "The patient's family is also being observed," he said.
Two people were quarantined on suspicion of coronavirus (COVID-19) in the southeastern province of Diyarbakır and the northwestern province of Sakarya on March 11, hours after Health Minister Fahrettin Koca reported Turkey's first coronavirus case.