Turkish Health Minister Fahrettin Koca early on March 11 announced the first confirmed coronavirus case in the country. The patient is a male Turkish citizen and has been placed in quarantine, Koca said.
Turkish Health Minister Koca said on March 10 that he would meet with the country’s education minister in the upcoming coming days and discuss temporally closing schools across the country. He also said that the Turkish presidency can publish a notice restricting civil servants' international travel except in obligatory cases.
A person was suspected to have been infected by the novel coronavirus on a Stockholm-Istanbul flight on March 10, causing a brief panic among the passengers. The person in question was later examined by an airport doctor who did not find any symptoms of the virus.
President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has told a group of his supporters that they should not shake hands since he might have brought them coronavirus. One of his supporters, in return, said, "We accept everything that's coming from you."
Only 5.8 percent of Turkish citizens are taking precautions against the coronavirus outbreak that's killed more than 4,000 people worldwide since December, a poll by private Optimar Research revealed. In contrast, 76.8 percent of participants said that they were afraid of the outbreak reaching Turkey.
Turkish Health Minister Fahrettin Koca said on March 10 that it's high likely that the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak is in Turkey, adding that there are no confirmed cases so far. While coronavirus has been spreading in Turkey’s neighboring countries, no cases were reported in Turkey.
An 86-year-old woman was diagnosed with coronavirus (COVID-19) after returning from Turkey to the United States, Maryland Governor Larry Hogan said on March 9. Turkey issued a statement a day later saying that the U.S. woman had not in fact visited Turkey, but only passed through the Istanbul Airport.
A German woman on holiday in the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus was diagnosed with coronavirus (COVID-19) on March 10, Health Minister Ali Pilli said. A day earlier, the Greek Cypriot government in the island's south reported its first two confirmed cases of coronavirus, including a heart surgeon believed to have been infected on a recent trip to London.
Turkish Health Minister Koca has said that Iran and Europe have been slow in taking measures against the coronavirus and the situation was putting Turkey at risk. “The reason that the virus appears in 106 countries and not in Turkey is because countries were not strict in closing their borders in the earlier periods. If we had also delayed our decision to close our borders, we could have turned into Iran or Italy,” Koca said.
Turkish police have announced that legal action will be taken on "misleading" social media posts about the presence of coronavirus (COVID-19) in Turkey. "Fake accounts that featured fake images on coronavirus presence in Turkey and social media posts that incite fear and panic in the society were determined. Necessary legal action was taken on these individuals who aim to incite fear," it said.
A 64-year-old man living in France is the first Turkish national to lose his life due to the coronavirus infection. The man's three sons and wife have been put into quarantine by the French authorities.
Unknown assailants have broken hand sanitizer dispensers that were installed at metrobus stops by the Istanbul municipality amid coronavirus fears. The municipality spokesperson Ongun said the security video recordings were shared with the police to identify the assailants.
The head of Turkey's top religious authority has advised worshipers during a Friday prayers sermon to pay attention to hygiene amid coronavirus fears, by recalling a saying of the Prophet Muhammad. “Our esteemed Prophet makes a connection between physical cleanliness and faith in the heart and says, 'Cleanliness is half of the faith,'” said Ali Erbaş on March 6.
Turkish Health Minister Fahrettin Koca has advised self-isolation for Turks who have recently traveled abroad due to the novel coronavirus. “Our citizens should avoid going abroad unless necessary, and those who do should isolate themselves at home for 14 days,” he said on March 5.