A deputy from the Peoples' Democratic Party (HDP) has criticized the limited number of coronavirus test kits found in Turkish health centers and asked in a parliamentary question why the Health Ministry does not distribute these test kits to family health centers.
World-renowned cardiac surgeon Dr. Mehmet Öz explained handwashing tips to slow down coronavirus transmission on an American late-night talk show. Dr. Öz said that most people do not know how to wash their hands "right" and showed a handwashing method which he named as “Turkish Twist.”
The Turkish Cyprus has imposed a travel ban from and to the northern part of the island which it controls, amid coronavirus fears. Only Turkish Cypriot citizens, students who are studying at Turkish Cypriot universities and immigrants who have residency permits will be allowed to enter the breakaway state.
Turkey is halting flights from and to Germany, France, Spain, Norway, Denmark, Belgium, Austria, Sweden and the Netherlands as of March 14 morning until April 17 as part of efforts to contain coronavirus, Transportation Minister Mehmet Cahit Turhan said on March 13.
Public transportation ridership is down by 10 percent in Istanbul in the last three days, the municipality announced on March 13. The number of passengers has reduced to around 6.73 million per day from 7.44 million amidst growing concern over the novel coronavirus, the municipality spokesperson announced.
The head of the World Health Organisation (WHO) has said that Europe has now become the epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic. “Europe has more coronavirus cases being reported every day than were reported in China at the height of its epidemic,” Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus on March 13.
Turkey confirmed three more coronavirus cases, bringing the total tally to five, Health Minister Fahrettin Koca said on March 13. "All five cases are directly related," Koca told reporters at a press conference.
Amid growing concern over the spread of coronavirus, Istanbul Mayor Ekrem İmamoğlu welcomed U.S. actor John Malkovich and his four friends with cologne. Malkovich had also taken his precaution against the virus, by wearing latex gloves.
Turkey's Religious Affairs Directorate said on March 13 that instead of attending weekly collective mosque prayers on Fridays, Muslims in the high risk group can pray at home amid coronavirus concerns. Underscoring that Friday prayers were a must for every obliged person, the statement said that various justifications could excuse a person from the congregation, including danger to life, property or health.
Turkey has slammed The New York Times and CNN International for using pictures taken in Istanbul in their reports on new U.S. travel restrictions over coronavirus. "It is disturbing to see that following the U.S. announcement to suspend travel to the United States from Schengen Countries, The New York Times and CNN used photos from Istanbul in their coverage in total contradiction with principles of professional and objective journalism," Ambassador Kılıç said.
Turkey's Health Ministry has appointed a National Medical Rescue Team (UMKE) to conduct health screenings on the thousands of migrants at the Greek border. UMKE employees have begun to disinfect the encampment and check the temperatures of migrants with electronic and thermal devices.
Students flock to bus terminals despite calls to avoid crowds after Turkey shuts universities over coronavirus
Students have flocked to bus terminals after Turkey shut schools and universities over coronavirus despite calls to avoid public spaces and crowds. Pictures from bus terminals showed students lined up in front of ticket windows, prompting criticism on social media. Presidential Spokesperson İbrahim Kalın on March 13 said that the government's decision to suspend schools was adopted to decrease crowded environments.
A member of the Turkish Health Ministry's Corona Science committee said that the panic over the coronavirus pandemic was 'unfounded'. More than 80 percent of patients have mild symptoms, Özlü noted, adding that the majority of the remaining 20 percent also fully recover after hospitalization.
An Afghan migrant was taken to hospital after getting stabbed over coronavirus on March 13. "Did you bring coronavirus here?" said the assailant who then stabbed the Afghan national.
The outbreak of the coronavirus has resulted in a sharp drop in the number of tourists traveling to Turkey, affecting Grand Bazaar shopkeepers. Yet for some, the most pressing concern is the lack of precaution being taken to curb the pandemic.