The Sinop’s Governor’s Office has canceled Kuzey Fest (the Northern Fest) which was planned to be held in the province between August 3 and 6.
In the refusal decision, the Governor's Office only said, “We did not find it appropriate for the Kuzey Fest to be held.”
The organization company applied for a stay of execution of the decision.
In their Instagram account, the organization company said “We immediately submitted our objection to the Samsun 3rd Administrative Court regarding the administrative decision taken by the governor's office without any legal justification, demanding a stay of execution. We fully believe that justice will make a decision of its own free will, without any pressure, that will not disturb the conscience of the society.”
The festival was going to be held for the 4th time this year. Several artists and bands such as Grup Seksendört, Sertap Erener, Sagopa Kajmer, Haluk Levent, Eypio would take place in the festival.
Earlier this month, a civil society platform consisting of several Islamist NGOs has demanded that festivals be canceled on the grounds that they “direct the youth to illicit, nonethical relations, intoxicating alcohol and substance use, rebellion and riots.”