Slain Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi's fiancee Hatice Cengiz has slammed death sentences given in the case into the journalist's murder, saying that Riyadh is trying to cover up the truth.
Saudi Arabia’s public prosecutor said on Dec. 23 five people had been sentenced to death and three more to jail terms totaling 24 years over the murder of Khashoggi.
Branding the ruling as "unjust and invalid," Cengiz noted that the motive of the murder remains unclear since closed hearings were held during the trial.
Khashoggi was a U.S. resident and critic of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, the kingdom’s de facto ruler. He was last seen at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2, 2018, where he had gone to obtain documents for his impending wedding. His body was reportedly dismembered and removed from the building, and his remains have not been found.
In her written statement, Cengiz said that the truth will never be known if the people sentenced in the case are not given the right to speak.
"I'm calling on all authorities around the world to condemn these death sentences and act to prevent them immediately," she added.
'Who ordered the brutal murder of Khashoggi?'
Turkey's Presidential Communications Director Fahrettin Altun also criticized the ruling, as he listed several questions that remained unanswered.
"Who ordered the brutal murder of Khashoggi? Who executed it? What did they do to him? Where is his body?" Altun tweeted on Dec. 24.
Many questions remain unanswered!— Fahrettin Altun (@fahrettinaltun) December 24, 2019
Who ordered the brutal murder of Khashoggi?
Who executed it?
What did they do to him?
Where is his body?
Who was sentenced to death by the Saudi court?
What is the guarantee that this will not happen again?
"The international media must pursue the case of Khashoggi until there is true accountability. The verdict of the sham trial is an insult to the intelligence of any fair observer. Those responsible must face justice sooner or later. The international community shouldn’t forget!" he also said.
This despicable murder was done at a diplomatic facility against every diplomatic norm imaginable! It is unconscionable and unacceptable. We will follow this case to the end regardless how high it goes. We call on international media to continue investigating this heinous act.— Fahrettin Altun (@fahrettinaltun) December 24, 2019