Duvar English / Reuters

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said Ankara is losing patience with the military assault in Syria’s Idlib region, adding that the Astana peace process overseen by Russia, Turkey and Iran has collapsed.

“There is no such thing as the Astana process anymore. The Astana process has fallen into silence now. We need to look at what Turkey, Russia and Iran can do to revive the Astana process,” broadcaster NTV quoted Erdoğan as saying on Jan. 29. Erdoğan made the comments while answering questions of reporters on a return flight from his Africa tour.

Erdoğan said that Russia is violating the Astana and Sochi accords aimed at stemming conflict in Idlib. “Currently, Russia is not abiding by Astana or Sochi,” he said.

Renewed bombardments by Russia-backed Syrian government forces on Idlib have raised concern of a new refugee wave from the area which borders Turkey and is home to 3 million people.

Turkey and Russia, which support opposing sides in Syria, agreed to work towards de-escalating the fighting in Idlib and creating a demilitarized zone under agreements known as the Astana and Sochi accords.

But fighting has continued in the last remaining rebel bastion in country’s nearly nine-year war despite several other agreements for a ceasefire, as recently as this month.

Erdoğan said Turkey, which is building houses in northern Idlib to shelter civilians fleeing the bombing, has told Russia that it is running out patience.

“If we are loyal partners with Russia on this, they have to put forth their stance… Our wish is that Russia immediately makes the necessary warnings to the regime which it sees as a friend,” he said.

On Jan. 28, Syrian government forces entered the town of Maarat al-Numan in the south of Idlib city, in a significant advance for President Bashar al-Assad. Turkey said it would retaliate against any attack on its 12 observation posts around Idlib.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a U.K.-based war monitor, said a Turkish military convoy of 30 vehicles, including 12 armored vehicles, entered Syria on Jan. 27 evening and was expected to establish a new observation post south of the town of Saraqeb in Idlib.