Turkish Defense Minister Hulusi Akar has said that the attack on Turkish troops in Idlib were carried out despite coordination with Russia.Russia accuses Turkey of violating Sochi deal
"The attack took place even though the locations of our troops were shared and coordinated with the officials of the Russian Federation on the ground. Even though a warning was conveyed following the first fire, the attack continued," Akar told reporters in the border province of Hatay on Feb. 28.
"Even the ambulances were hit in these airstrikes," he also said.
At least 33 soldiers were killed and dozens of others were wounded in a Syrian army airstrike on Turkish soldiers in Idlib.
Earlier, Russia’s Defence Ministry was cited by the RIA news agency as saying that the Turkish troops had been hit by artillery fire from Syrian government forces who were trying to repel an offensive by rebel forces.Kremlin says no plans for Putin-Erdoğan meeting in Istanbul on March 5
It was quoted as saying that Ankara had failed to notify Moscow of the presence of Turkish troops in the area hit by shelling despite being in regular communication with the Russian military.
“Turkish military who were in the terrorist units’ battle formations came under Syrian troops’ fire near the inhabited community of Behun on Feb. 27,” Moscow also said.
Refuting Russia's claims, Akar said that there were no armed groups present around Turkish troops at the time of the attack.
He also said that 309 Syrian soldiers were "neutralized" in retaliation, adding that 200 targets were hit on the Syrian side.Turkey-backed rebels regain key Syrian town of Saraqeb