Two Turkish soldiers were killed and another was wounded by a rocket attack undertaken by "some radical groups" in Syria's northwestern province of Idlib, the Defense Ministry said late on March 19.
The ministry added that its forces had opened fire on targets in the area.
The ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) deputy chairman Mahir Ünal had earlier reported the death of a soldier in Idlib. Ünal tweeted that Oğuz Taş was killed in the town of Muhambal.
Bahar Kalkanı Harekatı bölgesindeki Muhanbal kasabasında gerçekleştirilen menfur saldırı sonucu şehadete ulaşan hemşehrimiz Piyade Uzman Onbaşı Oğuz Taş'a Allah'tan rahmet, yakınlarına sabırlar diliyorum. Milletimizin başı sağ olsun.— Mahir Ünal (@mahirunal) March 19, 2020
Another statement had also come from the governor's office in Turkey's central Sivas province earlier on March 19. The governor's office said that Ramazan Nayir, 25, was, killed in Idlib.
Suriye’nin İdlip bölgesinde görev yapan hemşehrimiz, Piyade Uzman Onbaşı Ramazan Nayir (25) şehit olmuştur.— Sivas Valiliği (@sivasvaliligi) March 19, 2020
Kahraman Mehmetciğimize Allah'tan rahmet, kederli ailesine başsağlığı dileriz.
Milletimizin Başı Sağolsun. pic.twitter.com/VQqEKoGSfj
Separately, the Defense Ministry on March 19 said that a Turkish soldier had died as a result of a heart attack in Idlib.
The soldier named Sezai Atabey was preparing for night duties on March 18 when he had the heart attack, the ministry said.
Turkey, which backs rebels opposed to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, agreed a ceasefire with Russia two weeks ago after months of fighting displaced nearly 1 million people in Idlib. Moscow supports Syrian government forces.