Over 4,500 personnel dismissed from Turkish military since lifting of emergency rule
The Turkish army has dismissed 4,562 personnel and stripped 531 retired soldiers of their ranks since the country's two-year emergency rule came to an end in 2018, Defense Minister Hulusi Akar said.
The Turkish army has dismissed 4,562 personnel and stripped 531 retired soldiers of their ranks since the lifting of the state of emergency on July 18, 2018, the country's defense minister said on June 3.
"Our fight with all terrorist organizations, including FETÖ, will continue. We are working closely with intelligence services, to do everything necessary with every bit of information," Defense Minister Hulusi Akar said, referring to the Gülen network, which is referred to as Fethullahist Terrorist Organization (FETÖ) by Turkish authorities.
The Defense Ministry had previously that a total of 19,583 personnel have been dismissed from the military since the failed coup attempt of July 15, 2016. Another 4,156 army personnel are facing legal investigation, the Defense Ministry had said.
Following the failed coup attempt of July 2016, which is widely believed to have been undertaken by the Gülen network, the Turkish government declared a state of emergency.
After prolonging the state of emergency seven times, Ankara ended the measure on July 18, 2018. The decision came after President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and his ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) won the June 24, 2018 elections.
Under the two-year state of emergency, tens of thousands of people were arrested or dismissed from their jobs on grounds of their alleged involvement in the Gülen network.