The death toll from flash floods in Turkey's northern Black Sea region rose to nine on Aug. 25, as search and rescue efforts missing persons are ongoing.
Floodwaters caused by unusually heavy rainfall dragged debris and vehicles along a road, leaving them buried in mud, footage from the province of Giresun showed.
Residents were seen clearing streets, as construction machines lifted the debris and cleared roads.
Several roads have been blocked due to overflowing streams, while power outages were experienced in various parts of the region. Soylu said on Aug. 23 power was restored to some areas, but the damage to infrastructure was extensive.
Turkey's Disaster and Emergency Management Presidency (AFAD) said in a statement that 157 people had so far been rescued with efforts from nearly a thousand aid workers. It said efforts were underway to re-open 83 roads, adding that the agency had sent 9 million lira ($1.23 million) in emergency funds to the region.
Speaking alongside Soylu on Aug. 23, Agriculture and Forestry Minister Bekir Pakdemirli said rainfall in Giresun had exceeded averages for the month of August by 1.5 times.
"This is the first time I'm seeing such an overflow and such a flood," Pakdemirli said.
"We will take all necessary measures to ensure this does not happen again."
Referring to information received from the state meteorology authority, Soylu said rains, which started Aug. 22, reached 137 kilograms of density and affected districts.
He said efforts to get to those who are stranded would begin at first light in the morning and crews are working on opening access to roads and vehicles and heavy equipment are waiting for waters to recede before they enter.
Flood waters caused vehicles in Dereli to drift and buildings were also destroyed in the area, while security forces are trying to confirm reports about missing persons, he said.
Turkey's Disaster and Emergency Management Authority (AFAD) announced that rescue teams were dispatched to Giresun during the initial minutes of the natural disaster.