President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has said that his government aims to set up 100,000 containers for earthquake victims until May as flash floods earlier this week flooded and damaged tent and container camps in the quake zone.
“To bind up the wounds that the flood disaster has opened once again, we will work day and night and compensate for the destruction and damage. We will set up 100,000 containers until May and move half a million earthquake victims to these areas where they can accommodate in better conditions,” Erdoğan said on March 16.
“Of the containers sent from Qatar, about 3,000 came. By the end of this month, 10,000 containers will come. I have seen containers in (quake-hit Hatay’s district) Samandağı. Citizens have started to move into these high-quality, beautiful, skilled containers,” he said.
The southeastern Şanlıurfa and Adıyaman provinces were hit by flash floods late on March 14, leading to the death of at least 17 people.
Thousands of people were staying in tents and container houses, several of which were flooded due to severe rain, after their homes were damaged by the major earthquakes of Feb. 6.