Four days into detention, charges against detained journalist Zeynep Durgut not announced

Four days into her detention, authorities have not yet announced the charges against the detained journalist Zeynep Durgut as they have imposed a “confidentiality order” on her case. Durgut was detained on Feb. 14 in a police raid in the southeastern province of Şırnak's Cizre district.

Duvar English 

Mezopotamya news agency journalist Zeynep Turgut was detained on Feb. 14 in a police raid in the southeastern province of Şırnak's Cizre district. 

Although she has been under police custody for four days now, the reason for her detention is yet to be disclosed as her investigation file is subject to a confidentiality order.

Media outlets have said that Turgut was allowed to meet with her lawyer on Feb. 15 and is in a good state of health. On Feb. 16, her statement was taken at the police station. The journalist is expected to be referred to the Şırnak Prosecutor's Office on Feb. 17.

Several journalism organizations have called for Durgut's release, initiating social media campaigns under the hashtags of “Journalism is not a crime” (#GazetecilikSuçDeğildir) and “Release Zeynep Durgut” (#ZeynepDurgutuSerbestBırakın). They have called on the Turkish state to halt its crackdown on journalism.

Durgut was among dozens detained across Turkey targeting Kurdish institutions ahead of the Feb. 15 anniversary of the capture of Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) leader Abdullah Öcalan. 

The authorities have not yet made a statement with regards to the reasons for the detentions, with many of the people being interrogated at police and security headquarters. 

This is not the first time that Durgut has faced harassment at the hands of the state. She was previously jailed for reporting on the Turkish military throwing two Kurdish farmers from a helicopter (only journalists and the farmer who survived being thrown have been arrested in that case.)

The case which began in April 2021 ended last month with four of the journalists, including Durgut, acquitted of all charges.