Duvar English

Turkey’s death toll from coronavirus rose from nine to twenty-one as the number of cases surged to 947, Health Minister Fahrettin Koca said late on March 21.

The number of confirmed cases was 670 on March 20.

Koca said on Twitter that 2,953 tests had been conducted in the past 24 hours, 277 of which came back positive.

“We have lost twenty-one people up to now. We should warn our elderly population. They should abide with restrictions and stay at home. Fatality risk rises considerably with age” Koca wrote.

Turkey reported its first death related to the coronavirus pandemic early on March 11.

Since then, the government has taken a series of precautions against the spread of the virus, including shutting down schools, universities, bars, nightclubs, cinemas, cafes, spas, amusement parks and swimming pools.

The Interior Ministry, announced earlier on March 21 that Turkish citizens who are older than 65-year-old and suffering from chronic illnesses will be restricted from leaving their homes amid coronavirus measures.