Duvar English

The governor’s office in the eastern province of Van has said that a video that purported to show final moments of migrants doesn’t belong to the Lake Van tragedy.

A boat carrying as many as 80 people on board capsized late at night on June 27 in Lake Van. Turkish rescue teams have so far retrieved the bodies of 61 migrants, in one of the worst disasters involving migrants in Turkey in recent years.

Van Bar Association on Aug. 5 released a video believed to be recorded roughly 15 minutes before the deadly boat wreck, which allegedly showed migrants crossing the lake on an overcrowded boat.

The governor’s office said that the footage shared by the bar is not linked to the disaster.

It also said that they contacted an Afghan national believed to be the person who owned the video, who reportedly told the office that he received the video from someone else.