Duvar English

Amnesty International has called on Turkey to investigate the throwing of two men from a military helicopter in the eastern province of Van, saying that hospital reports seen by it point to the fact that the men fell from a high place.

Osman Şiban and Servet Turgut were thrown from a helicopter after being detained in an operation against the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) in Van’s Çatak on Sept. 11.

While Şiban was discharged from hospital and still suffers from memory loss, Turgut’s condition remains critical. He has been in intensive care for 17 days.

Amnesty International said that the incident must be investigated in an independent and impartial way.

It also said that it’s very concerned on the “allegations of torture and mistreatment,” adding that international human rights law and standards must ensure that Turkey prevents torture under all circumstances.

“Those suspected of being responsible for the alleged torture must be tried,” it said, while also calling on the authorities to lift the confidentiality order on the case in order to not obstruct the victims’ access to justice.

CHP submits parliamentary question

Main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) deputy Gülizar Biçer Karaca, meanwhile, has submitted a parliamentary question in order for the investigation of the incident.

Karaca asked the government to look into the claims, sentence those responsible and found a inquiry commission for the implementation of the regulations that ban torture.

“Claims regarding torture and mistreatment need to be investigated in a rapid, effective and impartial way. Those responsible should be punished. The implementation of the ban on torture is only possible through giving up the impunity culture,” Karaca said.

Şiban doesn’t remember

Elsewhere, Şiban said that he still can’t remember anything from the day that he was detained, adding that he is in pain.

“I haven’t recovered fully yet. My body is aching. I don’t feel good,” Şiban told Mesopotamia News Agency at his home in the southern province of Mersin on Sept. 27.