The International Press Institute (IPI) has launched its podcast series “IPI Freedom Dialogues: Turkey” to discuss the situation of press freedom, freedom of expression and the future of journalism in the country.
The podcast series is hosted by Cansu Çamlıbel, editor-in-chief of Duvar English and a member of IPI’s Turkey National Committee.
Episodes will be available in both English and Turkish.
The discussions will focus on the oppression journalists face in Turkey and what kind of further challenges lie ahead for the profession.
?BIG NEWS: IPI launches new podcast series - Freedom Dialogues #Turkey— IPI (@globalfreemedia) June 25, 2020
Hosted by @cansucamlibel, Freedom Dialogues will shed light on key journalism-related issues w/ expert opinions
1st episode already here w/ @KadriGursel
?️Now available on Spotify: https://t.co/EQXhDb0OP8 pic.twitter.com/qcT2CzZ3wA
Some of Turkey’s most trusted editors, journalists and relevant experts will analyse and shed light on key journalism-related issues in the country for both local and international audiences during the episodes.
Çamlıbel kicked-off the series on June 25 with a conversation with prominent journalist Kadri Gürsel, the chair of IPI’s Turkey National Committee.
Gürsel, who has a long career working for some of Turkey’s most respected publications, spent 11 months in prison between 2017 and 2018 as a price for his critical journalism, and is one of Turkey’s leading voices in defense of press freedom.
Some of the issues that Çamlıbel and Gürsel cover are as follows:
- The growing trend of jailing journalists in Turkey over the last decade as a long-term practice.
- Why the year 2008 marked the beginning of Turkey’s latest move to suppress press freedom.
- The 2013 Gezi Park protests as a turning point from the positive perception on ruling party ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) into a negative one.
- The symbolic case of Nedim Türfent, a journalist of Kurdish descent who spent his 1,500th day behind bars this month.
- The thin line between journalism and activism as a universal question.
The episode can be listened on the following website: https://freeturkeyjournalists.ipi.media/ipi-freedom-dialogues-turkey/