Police officer presses charges against Şenyaşar demanding justice for family

The Chief Prosecutor’s Office in Turkey’s southeastern Urfa province has accepted yet another criminal complaint against Emine Şenyaşar, who has been targeted by the government for her protest demanding justice for her family members murdered by the bodyguards of an AKP deputy. 

Emine (R) and Ferit (L) Şenyaşar hold their justice vigil with a placard that reads "Justice for my slain children, justice for all."

Duvar English

Emine Şenyaşar’s husband and two sons were killed by the bodyguards and relatives of the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) deputy İbrahim Halil Yıldız on June 14, 2018, in southeastern Urfa province’s Suruç district. 

Şenyaşar continued her fight for justice alongside her son Ferit Şenyaşar, who survived the attacks. The mother and son began their protest in front of the Urfa courthouse on March 9, 2021, and moved their demonstration to Ankara. During this period, Emine Şenyaşar faced numerous investigations and lawsuits.

According to the Mezopotamya News Agency (MA), the prosecutor’s office also filed a lawsuit regarding an altercation with the police who removed Şenyaşar’s banner that read "Justice for the Şenyaşar family, justice for everyone.”

In this incident, police assaulted Ferit Şenyaşar for objecting to the removal of the banner. Emine Şenyaşar reacted to the police who assaulted her son. Following the incident, Ferit Şenyaşar filed a complaint with the Urfa Chief Public Prosecutor's Office against the police for "giving illegal orders," "abuse of public duty," "intentional injury," and "threats."

Meanwhile, the police officer identified as M.A. also filed a complaint against Emine Şenyaşar for "insult" and "resisting to prevent duty" with the Urfa Chief Public Prosecutor's Office. While no action has been taken on Ferit Şenyaşar's complaint, the investigation initiated after the police officer's complaint was completed.

The prosecutor completed the investigation into Emine Şenyaşar and prepared an indictment. The indictment included footage recorded by the police as evidence and mentioned a report of "minor tissue damage" obtained by the police officer. 

The indictment called for Emine Şenyaşar to be sentenced to between six months and three years for "resisting to prevent duty" and from three months to two years for "insult."

The Urfa 5th Criminal Court of First Instance accepted the indictment and set the first hearing of the case for November 5.