Turkish league leader Trabzonspor announced on June 3 that it will appeal the UEFA's decision to ban the club from one season of European football competitions.
"With the decision it handed down today, the UEFA has come to the conclusion that our club has not abided by the settlement agreement we signed with them," Trabzonspor said in a statement released on its website.
The club said that they will file an appeal with the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in Switzerland against the UEFA's decision within 10 days.
The UEFA announced on June 3 that it banned Trabzonspor from European football for one season for falling foul of the break-even rule known as financial fair play (FFP).
"The CFCB [UEFA Club Financial Control Body] Adjudicatory Chamber has now determined that Trabzonspor AŞ failed to meet the target fixed for the 2019 financial year," the UEFA said in a statement.
UEFAmonitors clubs financially to make sure they are not spending moremoney than they earn, a measure created to help teams avoid financialproblems in the long-term.
The Financial Fair Play criteria involves break-even targets, sporting measures and financial contributions.
UEFAstated that Trabzonspor will be barred from one UEFA competition in2020/21 or 2021/22 football seasons once the Turkish team qualifiesfor the UEFA Champions League or Europa League.
It added that in July 2019, the CFCB determined that the club "failed to be break-even compliant as required by a settlement agreement, which it entered into on 20 May 2016."
TheUEFA's financial authority said that it previously informedTrabzonspor that it would face a one season ban in the upcoming termif they couldn't meet the financial target for last year.