Turkey's Personal Data Protection Board (KVKK) has launched an investigation to determine the truth and accuracy of online food delivery giant Yemeksepeti's recent announcement that its user data had not been stolen by hackers.
Last month, hackers claimed that they had gotten hold of Yemeksepeti's user data and had asked for ransom from the company.
Although Yemeksepeti confirmed the ransom demand, it said that no data breach had taken place. It said that some “ill-minded people” had asked for ransom, but that as a result of “detailed research by expert teams, no database hack had been determined.”
Contradicting the company's announcement, the hackers said they have already shared the personal information of 20,000 customers as they had not been made any payment.
This is not the first time that Yemeksepeti made news because of cyber-attacks and data breaches. A similar incident took place on March 25 and the company admitted that their data was stolen at the time. An investigation was also launched into the company on March 29 with regards to that incident.