Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu condemned the "heinous terror attack" in Afghanistan’s capital Kabul on Aug. 25.
"Deeply saddened by the loss of lives after today’s attack in Kabul. Strongly condemn this heinous terror attack," Çavuşoğlu wrote on Twitter. "Express my condolences to the families of those killed & my wishes for a speedy recovery to those wounded."
Deeply saddened by the loss of lives after today’s attack in #Kabul. Strongly condemn this heinous terror attack. Express my condolences to the families of those killed & my wishes for a speedy recovery to those wounded.— Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu (@MevlutCavusoglu) August 26, 2021
Also, the Turkish Foreign Ministry released a written statement saying similarly that Turkey "condemns this heinous attack in the strongest term."
An official with Afghanistan's Ministry of Public Health said on Aug. 26 that more than 60 people were dead and 140 wounded.
Among those killed were also 12 U.S. service members, said Gen. Kenneth "Frank" McKenzie, head of the U.S. Central Command, during a briefing on Aug. 26.
ISIS claimed responsibility for the attacks, the group's Amaq News Agency said on its Telegram channel.
The Turkish Defense Ministry said that its units had not been damaged in the attacks.
"There were two explosions outside of Kabul Airport. There is no damage or casualties in our units," the Turkish ministry said on Twitter.
Kabil Havaalanı dışında iki patlama olmuştur. Birliğimizde herhangi bir hasar, zayiat yoktur.— T.C. Millî Savunma Bakanlığı (@tcsavunma) August 26, 2021
Pentagon spokesperson John Kirby said on Twitter: “We can confirm that the explosion at the Abbey Gate was the result of a complex attack that resulted in a number of US & civilian casualties. We can also confirm at least one other explosion at or near the Baron Hotel, a short distance from Abbey Gate. We will continue to update.”
We can confirm that the explosion at the Abbey Gate was the result of a complex attack that resulted in a number of US & civilian casualties. We can also confirm at least one other explosion at or near the Baron Hotel, a short distance from Abbey Gate. We will continue to update.— John Kirby (@PentagonPresSec) August 26, 2021
In a separate statement on Twitter, Kirby also confirmed that "a number" of US troops had been killed in the attack, with "a number of others" being treated for wounds.
"We also know that a number of Afghans fell victim to this heinous attack," he added.
Meanwhile, a Taliban official said the attack on the Kabul airport was an act of terrorism that should be condemned by the whole world, adding the presence of foreign forces in the country was to blame, a Turkish TV channel said.
"As soon as the airport situation is figured out and the foreign forces leave, we will not have such attacks anymore. It is because of the presence of foreign forces that such attacks take place," said Abdul Qahar Balkhi, a member of the Taliban's cultural commission, told Turkey's Habertürk TV.
U.S. forces are in control of the airport as evacuations continue ahead of an Aug. 31 deadline -- the only area of the country still under U.S. control.
Thousands of people are waiting at the airport for evacuation, and large crowds have gathered outside the airport grounds, seeking a way inside to get a flight out.