Turkish opposition DEVA takes the murder of three Syrians to parliament's agenda

Turkish opposition DEVA has submitted a parliamentary question asking Interior Minister Süleyman Soylu why an effective investigation has not been conducted into the murders of three young Syrian workers, who were burned to death in the Aegean İzmir.

Duvar English

Opposition Democracy and Progress Party (DEVA) lawmaker Mustafa Yeneroğlu has submitted a parliamentary question with regards to the murder of three Syrian young workers, who were burned to death as they were sleeping at a factory in the Aegean province of İzmir.

Yeneroğlu asked Interior Minister Süleyman Soylu why precautionary measures were not taken with regards to the incident and why an effective investigation was not conducted.

He inquired about the accuracy of the allegation that the murderer had previously admitted that he had plans to kill the three Syrians, that the police had been aware of this confession, but yet failed to prevent the murders.

Yeneroğlu said the İzmir branch of the Human Rights Association (İHD) had reported that the killed Syrians' families had been warned by the police “to stay silent” about the murders.

“Is the allegation that the Syrian young people's families have been summoned to the police station and have been warned to stay silent?” he asked.

“No statement has been issued by the official authorities with regards to the incident. It is essential that the incident in question is enlightened with all of its dimensions,” he said.

“Has an investigation been launched with regards to the incident of the three Syrians being burned? If it has been launched, at which stage is this investigation? Has an investigation report been prepared? If an investigation has been launched, did authorities take into account the information that the crime had a racist motive?”

Earlier this week, the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a war monitor, announced that a Turkish citizen poured gasoline on the three Syrian workers as they were sleeping at a factory manufacturing stones for sidewalks.

The three killed Syrians were the 23-year-old Mamoun al-Nabhan, the 21-year-old Ahmed Al-Ali, and the 17-year-old Muhammed el-Bish.

After this announcement, the killed Mamoun al-Nabhan's brother Ahmet confirmed to Gazete Duvar in an exclusive interview that his brother lost his life after staying in intensive care for one week.

El-Gazi further said that the murderer had spoken with Turks at the workshop two-three hours prior to the incident and told them that he would “burn these Syrians.” “And five-six days later after the incident, he stabbed two Turks. And this shows us that he was released after the burning incident,” he said.