Just about an hour after Turkey and Russia agreed a ceasefire deal in Syria’s Idlib, the Turkish Defense Ministry announced that two Turkish soldiers died and three others were wounded in the region in a Syrian government attack on March 5.
Turkey’s state-run Anadolu Agency said the attack took place prior to the protocol agreed between Turkey and Russia in Moscow on the new ceasefire.
The ministry said the two killed soldiers were specialized sergeant Fatih Kara and mercenary Enes Kaya, joining over 55 others who’ve lost their lives in the Northern Syrian province this year.
The Gaziantep Governor’s Office had earlier announced the death of Kaya.
Kaya’s family was informed of his death later in the day by police.
Tensions in Idlib have been rising since the Feb. 27 attack on a Turkish Armed Forces convoy that killed over 30 soldiers.
Late on March 5, Turkey and Russia agreed a ceasefire deal in the region, their two leaders said after lengthy talks in Moscow.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, standing alongside Russian President Vladimir Putin after six hours of talks, said a new ceasefire will be effective starting at 12 a.m. on March 6 and Turkey will work with Russia to make it lasting.