Ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) lawmaker Mücahit Arınç, the son of former Parliamentary Speaker Bülent Arınç, has called for an investigation into allegations made by mob boss Sedat Peker if there are indications of them being “true.”
Arınç made the comments during a program aired on TV5 on Sept. 14. The AKP deputy was asked by journalist Çağlar Cilara as to what he thought about Peker’s allegations considering that “a majority of society believe the allegations to be true.”
In response, Arınç said: “We are following every issue that comes to the agenda of Turkey. There are two things about these allegations. The first one is this: Who said this allegation, why are they saying it and through which means is this being done? These are to be discussed…But if there is a situation about the seriousness and truthness of these allegations, they need to be immediately investigated.”
Meanwhile, Peker’s house in Istanbul was attacked on Sept. 14, leading to the injury of one person working for the mafia boss. The police said that the gunfight broke over money issues.
Peker, who fled Turkey in early 2020, currently lives in the United Arab Emirates. Last year, the 51-year-old mobster began posting videos and tweets making a series of scandalous claims against political figures, including allegations of murder, rape, corruption and drug trafficking.
There has been yet no indication of any official investigation to determine if the allegations are true or not.