Prior to the Hagia Sophia controversy, Turkey was already a “hot potato” issue both for the EU Commission and Germany. Some serious brainstorming has already been going on regarding what to do with Turkey as far as some EU countries are concerned.
Since Erdoğan's AKP is not able to open an umbrella that would cover everyone, it reinforces the point where it can give a “wheel alignment adjustment” to everyone. However, they know that the magnificent election results are a thing of the past.
Zeitgeist Turkey | Episode 7: As Turkish lira weakens to beyond 7 against dollar Erdoğan faces a choice
Duvar English’s editor-in-chief Cansu Çamlıbel and pollster Can Selçuki are joined by political economist Esen Çağlar to discuss the underlying factors behind the accelerating loss of value of the Turkish lira against the dollar. They look for answers to how the Turkish government is caught between a rock and a hard place by rapidly selling the Central Bank reserves. They also discuss whether Ankara can secure a swap line from the U.S. without giving up Russian S-400s.
Turkey’s relaxation of COVID-19 precautions will be discussed in a cabinet meeting today. While food businesses and hair salons will reportedly open in May, tourism, transportation and cultural activities are expected to pick back up in June, according to a pro-government journalist who often gets a tip-off from President Erdoğan's inner cabinet.
Upon asking whether or not Turkey should borrow from the IMF in order to alleviate the economic effects of the coronavirus crisis, only 30.8% of participants agreed, while the remaining 69.2% disagreed. The fact remains that the IMF is still negatively connoted amongst Turkish people.