Turkey's daily COVID-19 death toll hit a record high for a sixth consecutive day on Nov. 28, as experts issue chilling warnings on the capacity of the intensive care units across the country.
Data from the Health Ministry showed 182 fatalities and 30,103 coronavirus infections in the space of 24 hours, including asymptomatic ones.
For four months, Turkey only reported symptomatic cases, but since Nov. 25 it has reported all cases. The total number of deaths stood at 13,373.
Commenting on the ever-increasing coronavirus cases in Turkey, the head of the Turkish Society of Intensive Care, Prof. İsmail Cinel, urged people to stay home.
"Don't leave your houses this week," Cinel said on Nov. 28, adding that the country is at a critical point.
Deeming the capacity of the intensive care units 'dire,' Cinel noted that they are actually full.
"Saying that they are 70-75 percent full actually means that they are at capacity," he said, referring to Health Minister Fahrettin Koca's earlier statements.
"Say that you have 100 beds. You reserve some 50 of those for non-COVID-19 patients. What if someone gets injured in a traffic accident, won't you admit that person to intensive care?" Cinel asked.
"The wave is so strong that you start to reserve 70 percent of the intensive care units to COVID-19 patients and then increase it to 80 percent. The remaining 20 percent is not enough for non-COVID-19 patients," he said.
"We need to be afraid," Cinel added.