A group of retired admirals was called to testify by the Ankara Chief Public Prosecutor's Office on May 27 in relation to a declaration they released in April.
A total of 104 admirals released a declaration last month that called on the government to refrain from opening the withdrawal from the Montreux Convention to debate.
"The fact that withdrawing from the Montreux Convention was opened to debate as part of talks on Kanal Istanbul and the authority to exit from international treaties was met with concern," the admirals said in their declaration.
The statement drew a backlash from officials who saw it as a direct challenge from the military to the civilian government. Various ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) officials accused the former soldiers of suggesting a coup and 14 of the signatories were detained and released shortly after.
The Ankara Chief Public Prosecutor's Office on May 27 said that the 84 former soldiers who were called to testify didn't give their testimonies before as part of the investigation that was launched for conspiring against state security.
It also said that it tries to determine the people that the former soldiers are in contact with.