Duvar English

Turkey’s death toll from coronavirus rose by 15 to 59 as the number of cases increased by 561 to 2,433, Health Minister Fahrettin Koca said late on March 25.

He said on Twitter that 5,035 tests were carried out within the last 24 hours, bringing the total number of tests carried out in Turkey to around 33,000.

“The numbers cannot express the pain of loss and anxiety. Let’s try to live with zero risk,” he wrote.

Turkey confirmed its first case of the coronavirus early on March 11.

Since then, the government has taken a series of precautions against the spread of the virus, including shutting down schools, universities, bars, nightclubs, cinemas, cafes, spas, amusement parks as well as swimming pools.

On March 25, Ankara extended the closure of all schools until April 30 over the infection, as President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said Turkey will overcome the infection in two to three weeks through good measures.

In a televised address to the nation, Erdoğan said Turkey was prepared for every scenario on the outbreak, and urged Turks to show patience, understanding and support in the process.

“By breaking the speed of the virus’ spread in two to three weeks, we will get through this period as soon as possible with as little damage as possible,” Erdoğan said.

“Bright days await us, so long as we adhere by the warnings, remain cautious and careful,” he added. “Every citizen’s life is equally valuable for us. That is why we say ‘Stay Home Turkey’.”