Turkish prosecutor seeks 60 years for man who assaulted, beat toddler
A Turkish prosecutor in the Aegean province of Uşak sought 60 years for a man accused of sexually assaulting and injuring a child, the daily Cumhuriyet reported on July 5.
A Turkish prosecutor in Aegean Uşak sought 60 years in prison for a man named Yaşar Ercan on charges of sexually assaulting and torturing a child, the daily Cumhuriyet reported on July 5.
Forensic examination of the two-year-old baby revealed that Ercan had been assaulting him for a long time, and that physical injuries Ercan inflicted were life-threatening.
The survivor had been brought into a hospital on April 10 with injuries that were allegedly a result of him falling from a sofa.
The toddler's mother said in a later statement to police that Ercan, at whose she had been living for two months, had been violent with both the baby and her.
The mother said that she found the baby was unconscious after Ercan was alone with him in a room for a while.
A forensic examination on April 18 revealed that the baby suffered from broken bones that threatened his life functions and that he had been sexually assaulted for a while.
The baby has healed and was handed over to his biological father with a court ruling, an attorney from the International Association for Fighting Child Abuse (UCIM) told Cumhuriyet.
Ercan was reported to have a record of 10 other crimes including injury and theft, and was revealed to be a supporter of the Nationalistic Movement Party (MHP), known for its links to violent mobs.