Duvar English / Reuters
Official numbers revealed on Oct. 22 that the coronavirus outbreak in Turkey has spread dramatically, and Ankara is considering implementing preventative measures, President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan said.Exclusion of Istanbul Mayor İmamoğlu from COVID-19 provincial meeting draws ire
"Our health minister is visiting various provinces...We are working on what sort of measures we will take there," Erdoğan told reporters after Friday prayers in Istanbul.
"As of now, what sort of measures are to be taken will be conveyed to us from the science team and we will take our steps according to that," he said.
Turkey reported another 2,102 people with COVID-19 symptoms on Oct. 22, the highest figure since May when Ankara imposed a series of restrictive measures. The death toll from the virus rose to 9,584 on Oct. 22, Health Ministry data showed.
Speaking to reporters in the northwestern province of Bursa, Health Minister Fahrettin Koca said 40 percent of total cases across the country were reported in the country's largest city Istanbul, where cases were five times more than those in the capital Ankara.'143,000 coronavirus patients treated at home, 460,000 others under mandatory home quarantine'
Late on Oct. 22, Koca said residents in Istanbul should avoid crowded places unless necessary. On Oct. 23, he said he would hold discussions in Istanbul starting this weekend to evaluate the recent rise there.
Turkey imposed weekend lockdowns, restricted intercity travel and closed restaurants and cafes earlier this year to slow the spread of the virus.
Almost all restrictions were lifted in June. The government has since enforced measures such as social distancing and wearing masks, and has imposed fines on those who break rules.
A senior official said earlier this week that Ankara was considering reimposing some restrictions to stem the resurgence of cases but will avoid throttling the economic recovery. Vice President Fuat Oktay later said no measures were on the government's agenda at this stage.Turkish Interior Ministry refutes reports of gov't mulling re-imposing curfews