No Turkish teams will be relegated from the Süper Lig after a season impacted by the coronavirus outbreak, Turkish Football Federation chairman Nihat Özdemir said on July 29. He added that the Süper Lig's new foreign player restrictions would also not apply for the 2020-21 season.
The only women's football team in the western province of Denizli, Horozkentspor, moved up from the Women's Third League to the Second League, only one down from the top. "We've been through some rough times," said Horozkentspor chair Kamil Karabuğa. "Now it's up to Denizli to support our girls. We can go even further together."
Trabzonspor has announced that it will file an appeal with the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) against the UEFA's decision to ban the club from European football for one season.
The Turkish Football Federation (TFF) has announced that the top-tier Süper Lig will resume on June 12 even though clubs continue to report new coronavirus cases. Second-tier league club Büyükşehir Belediye Erzurumspor said on May 13 that 11 people, including four players, from the club tested positive for the virus.
Istanbul municipality committee warns early ‘normalization’ could lead to a sudden surge in infections
The Istanbul Municipality's Science Committee warned against early relaxing of COVID-19 precautions as the country begins normalization. The municipality criticized the reopening of shopping malls, hair salons and barber shops, and the start of the national soccer league.
Retired goalie for the Turkish national soccer team Rüştü Reçber said that he underestimated the coronavirus, for which he received treatment in Italy, Italian daily Tuttomercato reported April 11. “This virus is serious, it’s no joke,” Reçber said.
A Turkish man who plays soccer in the amateur league in the southeastern province of Van fell and hit his head on the concrete floor adjacent to the soccer field, leading to brain surgery and possibly chronic injuries. The concrete that is supposed to be six meters away from the field was only a meter away from the field that Ümit Karasu was playing on March 13.
A Fenerbahçe football player and Medipol Başakşehir chair Göksel Gümüşdağ tested positive for coronavirus on March 25. "Our players, technical staff and administrative employees underwent coronavirus tests in Samandıra Can Bartu Facility. One footballer and medical team worker were tested positive and were dispatched to a hospital for treatment," Fenerbahçe said in a statement without giving the names of those diagnosed.
Football federation head under fire for not suspending league after Fatih Terim tests positive for coronavirus
Turkish Football Federation head Nihat Özdemir came under fire on social media after Galatasaray coach announced that he tested positive for coronavirus. Terim was one of the most vocal figures in the Turkish football scene about the need for the suspension of the league. Before the suspension decision was announced on March 19, the matches were played without fans in attendance.
Fenerbahçe fans have protested Minister Berat Albayrak following controversial referee decisions in a Feb. 8 game. Thousands of Fenerbahçe fans shouted slogans after the game, calling on Albayrak to quit his post, while also demanding the removal of politics from sports. Albayrak is known for his public support for Trabzonspor. "Everyone knows how we're trying hard for Trabzonspor behind the scenes," he previously said.