July 2016 coup attempt
A Twitter post shared by top court member Engin Yıldırım stirred controversy, with the government condemning him for "giving a coup message." "The lights are on," tweeted Yıldırım on Oct. 13 with a picture of the court's building, prompting the Interior Ministry to respond by sharing its own building. The row came hours after a local court unconstitutionally ignored the top court's ruling on a former CHP deputy.
A deputy of the pro-Kurdish Peoples' Democratic Party (HDP) has asked Turkey's Justice Ministry about claims that families of lawyers detained in Ankara earlier this month were getting calls asking for ransom in return for their loved ones' release. The unidentified individuals on the phone reportedly told the families that the lawyers will be formally arrested if the ransom is not paid.
Turkey's Youth and Sports Ministry named a gym center after a young man who died during the 2016 coup attempt, but failed to invite his mother to the ceremony. Mother Nihal Olçok Mother Nihal Olçok called out Youth and Sports Minister and asked if he realized "Abdullah has a mother."
A thousand words were said for philanthropist, businessman and human rights activist Osman Kavala to mark his 1,000th day of imprisonment on July 27. "Conscience and just" topped the list via being written 48 times, which were followed by "humble and humility."
Turkish Historical Society head resigns after calling for reintegrating regretful coup plotters into society
The head of the Turkish Historical Society (TTK), Prof. Ahmet Yaramış, has resigned from his post following backlash over his remarks on reintegrating regretful coup plotters into society. He was replaced with Prof. Birol Çetin on July 23.
26 judges and prosecutors that were removed from their posts by decree earlier this month on the basis of having ties with what the government calls the Fethullahist Terror Organization (FETÖ) were appointed to their posts following the failed July 2016 coup attempt, according to a report in the daily Cumhuriyet.
Four years after the attempted takeover, a number of crucial questions remain unanswered, especially on former army chief Hulusi Akar and MİT chief Hakan Fidan. "Erdoğan protected Akar and Fidan in an incomprehensible manner. The fact that these two officials made an evaluation mistake caused a lot of people to get killed or wounded," journalist Mehmet Yılmaz told Duvar English.
President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has likened the thwarting of July 15, 2016 failed coup attempt to the Conquest of Istanbul, saying that the takeover bid "was a breaking point." "July 15 is the latest ring of the chain of struggles of our existence that we have put forward for ages on this soil. Whoever tries to undermine it aims to overshadow this deep history," he also said.
Police have prevented survivors of the July 15, 2016 failed coup attempt from marching in the capital Ankara on the fourth anniversary of the botched takeover bid. "They know that we will face them and say, 'Give us our rights Mr. President.' That's why they're blocking us," one of the survivors told ANKA News Agency.
İYİ Party leader cancels plans to attend Erdoğan’s speech after her bodyguard tests positive for COVID-19
Good (İYİ) Party leader Meral Akşener has cancelled her plans to attend President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan's speech in parliament after her bodyguard tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19). Akşener's tests were negative.
Presidential Communications Director Fahrettin Altun has said that the conversion of Istanbul's Hagia Sophia into a mosque is the continuation of our revival during the July 15, 2016 failed coup attempt. "This longing ended with the will of our president. The decision is the continuation of our July 15 revival," Altun told daily Hürriyet.
The ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) has prepared a video to mark the fourth anniversary of the thwarting of the July 15, 2016 failed coup attempt. In the video, a student in a Western university describes how Turkish people poured to the streets to stop the coup bid.
A Turkish court has released President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan's two former aides who are accused of being involved in the July 15, 2016 failed coup attempt. Mete Semercioğlu and Erkan Kıvrak were released in the hearing on July 3 despite a prosecutor seeking over 20 years in prison for each.
T24 news portal editor-in-chief Doğan Akın was acquitted of charges of 'aiding a terrorist organization without being a member.’ Akın received this accusation after reporting on a Twitter phenomenon known as “Fuat Avni” that gained attention for its occasionally accurate predictions of Turkish political events.
Turkey shut down a total of 119 media outlets following the July 15, 2016 failed coup attempt, Vice President Fuat Oktay said in response to a parliamentary question submitted by Peoples' Democratic Party (HDP) deputy Muazzez Orhan. A total of 53 newspapers, 20 magazines, 16 TV channels, 24 radio stations and six news agencies were shut down with state of emergency decrees.